Friday, September 19, 2008

Here's a beer for James Crumley


I woke up today to the news that James Crumley has died. If you don't know the name, you're missing out. Crumley was the finest mystery writer to ever come out of Texas, though he lived most often in Montana.

When I was studying creative writing in grad school, the two coolest people I got to meet were Andre Dubus and Crumley (both Iowa Writers Workshop grads). The latter influenced me to write mystery novels. He was hard-edged, hangdog and a hell of writer. I met him twice more but heard a lot of stories of his drunken excesses. Five wifes, too...

Austin author Jesse Sublett has talked doing some sort of tribute to Crumley. I hope it happens.

1 comment:

Andrea Himmelsehr said...

My mom- Peggy Stewart- dated Crumley (known as Tex then) in high school. She was sad to see he'd passed. We think he even dedicated The Wrong Case to her.