Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Pizza for Casey

Yesterday was my brother Casey's birthday. He died in a train accident in India on Halloween. I bought this pizza in his honor: black olives and fresh garlic on whole wheat from Conan's Pizza in Austin, Texas. It was exactly as Casey would have ordered it in the days when I moved home to study creative writing in grad school. He and I would stay up late eating pizza and watching access television. I realize it's the last period where he and I spent a lot of time together. I ordered the pizza uncut as Casey would have (a vegetarian doesn't cotton to meat-covered knives), but right before opening the box I said out loud, "it would really be appropriate if they'd forgotten and cut it." Of course, they had.

Take a look at the Dear Photograph I created in Casey's honor right after his death. It has since traveled around the world, and I think he'd get a kick out of that.

No comments: