Monday, February 16, 2009

Bumping into old friends at AWP Chicago

I'm recently returned from the Association of Writers and Writing Programs conference in Chicago where some 7,000 introverted writers squirmingly mingled. Saw a couple of my favorite writers including Charles Baxter, Dan Chaon (got to say a quick hello to him) and Steve Almond.

I also ran into some old friends.


Poetry is everywhere at AWP, including in the elevators where poetry videos ran nonstop!


I ran into my former student Cesar Diaz and convinced him not to pose for this photo. He's in a creative nonfiction MFA program in Arizona now.


My fellow former Southwest Texas State University MFAers Greg Oaks, Kevin Grauke and Scott Blackwood convened at Scott's reading celebrating the release of his novel, an AWP award-winner.

No comments: