Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Duplass sez help send 'Kevin' namesake out to world


Jay Duplass's doc Kevin is about Kevin Gant, an Austin musician in the '90s who vanished without a trace until the filmmaker tracked him down and set out to tell his story. The film premiered at SXSW and is on the film festival circuit. Duplass wants your help making sure Gant can make the journey as well since most festivals can't afford the expenses. Go to Kickstarter to see how you can donate and receive cool prizes like signed CDs and a DVD of the film.

This is what Duplass says about his doc:


"In Austin, TX in the early '90s, Kevin was my hero. He was the purest, most inspired artist I had ever seen. His fusion of all-American folk-poetry with a wild flamenco guitar style was completely original, and I went to every show of his I could.

But in 1995, Kevin disappeared completely from the music scene, and I had no idea why.

Two years ago I finally tracked him down, and we began a friendship. I learned about the painful events back in ’95 that shattered his lifelong dream of making and sharing music. I learned he had barely touched his guitar ever since, and had forgotten how to play almost all of his songs.

But then, thanks to a magical twist of fate I could never have imagined, Kevin and I found ourselves traveling halfway around the globe and back. And along the way, I watched as Kevin’s dream reignited right before my eyes.

KEVIN, my documentary debut, is that story."

By the way, Dan Eggleston reports that Duplass has asked him to portray a homeless man in a scene from the upcoming group-effort recreation of Richard Linklater's Slacker.

No comments: